Setting Minimum Ventilation Rates
1. Log into the Pelican App. On the Main Page of the app, select Admin either at the bottom of the page or in the upper right hand corner of the screen.
2. Under the Admin Menu, select Thermostat Configuration.
3. Under the Thermostat Configuration page find and select the thermostat wired to the air handler you are commissioning.
4. Scroll down until you see Economizer. This section should be turned ON if the Pelican PEARL is being used to control the outside air damper. If there is no section called Economizer, then there is no PEARL connected to this Pelican thermostat or the thermostat is unable to communicate with the PEARL.
If you believe a PEARL is wired to this thermostat and it is not showing up in the Thermostat Configuration screen, scroll to the bottom of the screen and select Signal Outputs. Under Communication Status if you see Economizer Controller it should have a green check mark to the right of it. If there is a red X then at one time the thermostat was able to communicate with the PEARL, but it is now unable to communicate with it and you need to check the wires between the PEARL and thermostat. If you do NOT see Economizer Controller, then the thermostat has never communicated with the PEARL and you should check the wire between the PEARL and thermostat.
5. To make adjustments to the Minimum Ventilation Rate, set Auto Configuration to No. This will open up the PEARL configuration parameters which should be adjusted to meet proper outside air damper operation.
6. The first section to confirm is set correctly is Variable Damper. This should be set to ON if the PEARL is using a modulating signal to control the outside air damper actuator position.
7. Make sure Damper Voltages (Open/Closed) are set correctly. This configuration indicates what the PEARL believes is the full voltage range to move the outside air damper from fully closed to fully open. To learn how to find exact outside air damper voltage settings, click here.
8. With control configurations confirmed. You can adjust the percentage setting next to Minimum Damper Position to change what the PEARL sets the outside air damper too during normally occupied hours.
9. To check if the percentage you have set is correct, turn the Fan to ON for the thermostat wired to the PEARL you are commissioning. The PEARL will adjust the outside damper to the percentage open you configured, so you can measure the outside CFM rate. If the CFM rate is correct, you are done commissioning the PEARL. If the CFM rate is not correct, adjust the Minimum Damper Position until you reach the correct minimum ventilation rates required for this air handler.
10. Once configured, select the back button in the upper left hand corner of the app and the configurations will be pushed to the PEARL.
Setting Demand Ventilation and Maximum Ventilation Rates
1. Follow the steps in the section above to set your Minimum Ventilation Rates before following this section.
2. Under the Economizer section of the Thermostat’s configuration page, temporarily set Demand Ventilation to OFF. This will prevent the PEARL from going into demand ventilation, so you can do proper outside air damper CFM measurements.
3. Record what the Minimum Damper Position is currently set to and save this information for further steps.
4. Make sure the thermostat you care configuring is calling for Fan and that the outside air damper is open to the Minimum Damper Position. Measure the ventilation CFM. Adjust the Minimum Damper Position percentage until the ventilation CFM equals the Maximum Ventilation Rate scheduled for this room during a Demand Ventilation event. Record this percentage and save this information for further steps.
5. Set Minimum Damper Position back to the originally saved percentage you recorded in step 3 of this guide.
6. Set Demand Ventilation to ON. Next to Maximum Ventilation Rate set the percentage you found in step 4 of this guide.
7. Scroll up until you see Temperature Settings and find the CO2 Ventilation configuration under this section.
8. The default CO2 ppm threshold to start a Demand Ventilation event is 800ppm. This can be adjusts with a maximum setting of 2000ppm and a minimum setting of 400ppm.
9. You have now completed setting the PEARL up for Minimum Ventilation Rates, Maximum Ventilation Rates, and the CO2 demand ventilation threshold.
Setting Automated Ventilation Adjustments for a Multi-Speed Supply Fan Air Handler.
1. Follow the steps in the section Minimum Ventilation Rates before following these instructions.
2. Under the thermostat’s configuration screen scroll down until you see Variable Speed Fan and turn the to ON.
3. If the PEARL is directly controlling the AHU’s fan speed, set the desired fan speeds in this section to correlate with the speeds expected from the air handler. The PEARL will automatically adjust the outside air damper in relation to the fan speed changes..
4. If the PEARL is NOT directly controlling the AHU’s fan speed, set the fan speeds that the AHU’s internal controller sets the fan too in this section. This correlation tells the PEARL that the fan speeds adjust automatically and the PEARL will adjust the outside air damper in relation to the fan speed changes.